*Note: Creativity is a profound part of our inner being. A few weeks ago, artist and writer Mckella shared a guest post on how Nature inspired her creativity. In today’s post, the lovely Sarah Leonard, founder of The Curiously Gorgeous Sisterhood, shares her insights and tips on eco-spirituality for creative souls.
Eco-spirituality for Creative Souls
A Guest Post by Sarah Leonard
For me, spirituality is something I have long searched for. I have always been interested in finding the spiritual path that spoke to me. I have always felt that there must be more than just the ordinary, day-to-day, what the eye can see world.
I have had a rocky road to where I am now, with many diversions along the way. I have finally found something which feels right and sustainable to me.
The form of spirituality which eventually rang true for me was Wicca. I am surprised in a way that I never thought about it before, as I have always been interested in stories, films and tv shows all about Witchcraft. I never really took it seriously though, assuming it was all fictional and too far fetched to be true.
What really appeals to me about Wicca is the idea of balance. Of living in harmony with nature. Of saying thanks for the bounty it provides us. Of respecting each and every part of the planet and treating animals, plants and everything as equally important.
In it’s own way, it’s a form of eco-spiritualism!
I am a creative soul who loves to make art, play music and pass on my inspirational ideas to others. But how to do that in a sustainable way? Here are some quick tips for living as a creative entrepreneur in a responsible, eco-spiritual way.
- Buy vintage where possible. I scour thrift stores for clothes, books, material and anything else I can get there. I bought the shelving for my desk from a thrift store too. Re-using and recycling is the way forward!
- And while I’m on the subject – recycle people! I recycle everything I can (we are lucky that we have our recycling needs met on our doorstep).
- I am careful with what I use. I use vintage book pages to create my art, I save odds and ends of card and paper for other projects. In this way I am minimising my ecological impact whilst still fulfilling my creative desires.
- I also donate my old and no longer needed books and other items to local thrift stores. It’s the best way to avoid landfill and pass on your goodies to others who might need them.
- I try to shop locally whenever possible, to avoid having a bigger carbon footprint than necessary.
And spiritually? Here are the regular practices that help keep me focused, happy and living the life I have dreamed of.
- I have set up an altar in my home (in fact I have set up several of them). I use them to ground me and to focus my intentions on the different areas of my life I long to expand.
- I regularly use oracle cards when I have a burning question or am unsure of what is right.
- I keep frankinsence on my altar and the smell of that really centres me and makes me feel calm.
- I light herbal candles to set my intentions too.
- When all else fails, my kitties and their cuddles can raise my vibrations and make me feel more grounded and full of love.
I hope this little tidbits from my life will help you in yours. Perhaps you can add some of them to your own routines and see which work for you?
Sarah Leonard is a curious soul, who lives a magical creative life with her kitties and her husband. She runs an Etsy store full to the brim with artistic curiousities, and writes regularly on her blog A Cat-Like Curiosity. She is also the founder of The Curiously Gorgeous Sisterhood, a gorgeous community full of light, life and inspiration.